Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I can't believe I'm going to say this

I'm a big, huge skeptic. I especially have a hard time believing something to be true when all of the actions point to an opposite reality. I live by the mantra both in dealings with others as well as in the stock market, "Fool me once.....shame on you. Fool me twice.....shame on me". I tried bottom fishing with financials way back in the spring when Citigroup was trading around $24/share. Luckily I bailed on the idea around $21/share since it swiftly dropped to $15.

So it's hard for me to swallow what I'm about to say.

( choke ) It might be time to get in on some financial stocks ( gasp. choke. gag. )


I can't believe those words fell out of my mouth.

But, I did it. I sucked it up and did it. I bought some Bank of America shares today. They've been up 50% in just last week alone thanks to "better than expected losses and write-downs". But, I got in first thing in the morning as I followed the quarterly reports of Fifth Third and Wachovia. At the end of the day, I was up a quick 16% before selling 30% of my shares before the market closed to take profits. I bought BAC for a couple of reasons. 1. I knew a few big names were reporting today and took the gamble that they would do as well as the other companies that reported last week who saw 10/20/30% gains in a single day. 2. Congress is supposed to pass some kind of bill to help/bail out Fannie/Freddie and the housing market on Thursday.

At this point, though, how much worse could financial stocks get compared to the beating the energy stocks have taken this last month? Companies that I own like Freeport McMoRan and XTO Energy both reported today. Freeport reported a 14% loss partly related to the Phelps Dodge acquisition last year. They have plans to boost production in both their Morenci and Safford Copper mines this year plus increased their dividend to $2.00/share up from $1.75. This is a company that I've owned off and on over the last year or so. Without fail, the stock value will rise until it is time to report for the quarter and then for some reason, it gets slammed. It will trade up 25 points then pull back 20 which makes for an easy "buy low/sell high" stock to follow. I sold half of my position about a month ago in anticipation for today which did exactly what I suspected. Down 6%. Zero logic.

XTO has been a thorn in my side. They report a 33% increase in profit today after boosting their earnings estimates to 20% last month and the company's shares fell 9% which is better than down 11-12% like it was in early trading. It's nuts! This company just bought out a company called Headington Oil Company who has about 350,000 acres of leasehold in the Bakken Shale in Montana and North Dakota. Why is that important to me? Because I know for a fact that there is oil in that area because my parents receive a hefty check every month from the former Headington Oil Company for their mineral rights on that land. If there wasn't oil, they wouldn't be receiving a check which has gone up a LOT in the last year. So, if Headington found oil, XTO now owns it. So why on earth has XTO shares gone down almost 30% in the last month? Who knows. The large drop in natural gas probably. Reporting on a day when the price of oil per barrel dropped $4.00 was just dumb luck. I did buy back some more today since I thought the smack down they've received has been ridiculous. Their earnings growth and potential deserves better than that.

Natural gas plays are typcially cyclical and tend to trend down in July and August. Once hurricane season and winter gets closer, they hopefully should move up.


EDITED: So I bought some BAC last week. I made a nice 16% profit in one day before selling some of my shares. I put a stop limit to sell the rest at a 10% profit because I just don't have the stomach for it just yet. So, in 2 days, I did a pretty good, quick trade. I'm still going to be cautious and have a "wait and see" attitude........

2 comments:

Scott and Jane said...

We are not done seeing more write-downs (maybe half IMO).

It's cool that your so into the market. Just keep pumping BAC. ;)

Scott

Frances said...

Even if there are a lot of people selling off their Bakken Shale Mineral Rights at the moment, you shouldn't just jump to the bandwagon without thinking this through.