Thursday, February 26, 2009

Speaking of stocks....

I thought I'd mention a few I own that have held up fairly well over the last six months or so.

1. Nordic American Tanker NAT. It has traded in a $25 - $33 range while still paying out a nice 3.50/share (12%) dividend. If it drops down closer to $25, I might load up some more.

2. McDonalds MCD. It has also done pretty well staying in a $53 - $60 range and paying a dividend of 2.00/share (3.7%). Its last earnings report was phenominal and stands to do well in a bad economy. Plus, they are still expanding in China.

3. Abbott ABT. Well, except for today after the announcement of our moving towards national healthcare. It has traded in a $55 - $60 range and also pays a nice 1.60/share (2.0%). Today saw a drop of over 5% which is huge for this kind of stock. If I wanted more shares, I'd look to pick some up if it drops below $50 which seems to be the put options price. They just raised their dividend ( how many other companies can say the same? ) 11% and have consistently raised their dividend year over year.

4. The biggest surprise is Visa V. I bought shares the day it IPO'd in March and sold off all but a few back when it was close to its peak. But, the shares I have left are right around what I originally paid. The dividend is nominal but I'll take flat over major loss any day.

5. Linn Energy LINE. I picked up some more when it dropped around $11 back in December and has maintained a trading range of $12 - $15 with a pretty dividend of 2.52/share (18%). They just reported today and outlook appears good for 2009.

6. Freeport McMoran. This poor, beaten down stock went from 125.00 last summer down to 16.80 in December! I actually traded this thing and got in when it was in the 70's then rode it up to 125.00 and sold at 100.00 when it started to come down. I did buy back in when it was around 40.00 and dollar cost averaged as it dropped even further. From its low of 16.80 to now, it has seen a 100% increase. Copper stockpiles are dropping and China has announced new infrastructure stimulus which should draw down those stockpiles even more. Freeport halted a lot of its mining and even decided, smartly so, to suspend its dividend to preserve cash. While this stock has rallied in recent months, if it pulls back a little, I might pick up some more. I think there is a lot of upside still.

My next buy will be some Smith and Wesson SWHC. Both the stock and their product.

1 comment:

Kyle Is Neat said...

Funny thing about S&W... I just bought a Ruger LCP .380

Interesting that most gun shops are completely out of most handgun ammo. I think people are getting nervous - I am...

Love your Blog